Pulling Out the Savoy Truffle

Reflections on music, literature, politics, and pop culture from retired rock musician, writer, and college professor Jim Booth. Email comments to Jim at jim@jimbooth.org.

Name:
Location: Advance, North Carolina, United States

Monday, February 09, 2004

"I Can't Explain..."
- Pete Townshend

It's February 9, 2004.

Everyone from Rolling Stone Magazine (excuse me while I spit on the ground) to NPR (God save us all from intellectuals) has proclaimed this a sacred day.

On this date in 1964, the Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. And changed the world, etc.

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah.

I can't explain what that night, and the subsequent appearances the Fabs made the next two weeks, and listening to "I Want to Hold Your Hand/I Saw Her Standing There" 37 times in a row (each side of the 45, my children, each side) and then getting "She Loves You/I'll Get You" on the Swan label and doing what I did with the first record, then getting "Twist and Shout/There's a Place" on Tollie and hearing the lads soar off into the infinite at the end of the "There's a Place" EVERY SINGLE TIME mean to me....

I just can't.

As Sebastian said, "It's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock & roll...."

But I want to thank them.

And what I want to know is, how do you like your moptops, Mr. History...?





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home